Possible HDMI Output

Hey there.

I'm a newbie with CasparCG first of all! So I'm programming a custom client for volleyball (btw if anyone has something similar, can you link it pls?) and I'm thinking how will I connect the computer to the switcher. We're running a ATEM 1/ME switcher and I was thinking about connecting it directly with hdmi. Do I need a decklink (or some sort of output card) or I will be good with my hdmi output from graphics card?

Thanks in advance

Re: Possible HDMI Output

Here is a volleyball client for CasparCG:

Code: Select all

https://www.streamstar.com/streamstar-scoreplus/
. To your question: There is a difference between video and computer screens. There are different resolutions and frame rates etc. So ATEMs do seldom accept a HDMI coming from a graphics card output. Then there is a second problem: For video graphics you want to have transparency, that means you will not want to cover the whole picture with your graphics. So you need some way to feed a key (or alpha channel) to your ATEM. That means you end up with two cables coming from your Decklink to the ATEM. Just search for „Fill/Key“ here in the forum abd you find plenty of explainations.
Didi Kunz
CasparCG Client-Programmer, Template Maker & Live CG-Operator
Media Support, CH-5722 Gränichen, Switzerland http://mediasupport.ch/
Problems? Guide to posting Bug reports & Feature requests

Key/Fill is the best way to send graphics with alpha to the mixer. You may get usable results, when using luma key and a black background (and only one connection to the mixer). But for this, all colors inside your graphics need to be light, and black can't be used.... Using green key / blue box / chroma key has the same restrictions, but with the key color instead of black - So I would prefer luma key when sending only one signal ;-)

When using the secondary out of a graphics card, it must be set to ATEM resolution and framerate. If this works, you also can send all computer graphics to the ATEM. I would suggest a (Desktop) PC with Blackmagic Decklink-Card(s) for best results at a good price.....

Where are you located ? What language you will use for building a custom client ?

didikunz wrote:
21 Mar 2018, 00:31
Here is a volleyball client for CasparCG:

Code: Select all

https://www.streamstar.com/streamstar-scoreplus/
I've already seen that. Way too expensive. But thank you nonetheless!
thos-berlin wrote: Key/Fill is the best way to send graphics with alpha to the mixer. You may get usable results, when using luma key and a black background (and only one connection to the mixer). But for this, all colors inside your graphics need to be light, and black can't be used.... Using green key / blue box / chroma key has the same restrictions, but with the key color instead of black - So I would prefer luma key when sending only one signal ;-)

When using the secondary out of a graphics card, it must be set to ATEM resolution and framerate. If this works, you also can send all computer graphics to the ATEM. I would suggest a (Desktop) PC with Blackmagic Decklink-Card(s) for best results at a good price.....

Where are you located ? What language you will use for building a custom client ?
I'm located in Portugal and using C# (visual studio). I'm trying to base myself from the 2010 WC template.
So with your responses, I understand that I can't get away with just a graphics card output, as I would loose some colors. I'll look into a Decklink card.
Thanks for the help