Lower Third Update Text Only

Can anyone help a newbie figure out how to update only the text portion of a lower third? I have successfully built a flash template for my lower third complete with dynamic text fields. The template has an in animation and an out animation. If I copy and paste several instances of the graphic in my rundown (using CasparCG Client) I can play the second instance of the graphic and the whole graphic comes in again with the second text instance. What I would like to also be able to do is only send the new text to the graphic that is already on screen. This way I could change the content within the lower third without restarting the whole animation. My only idea so far is to separate the graphical elements from the text elements into 2 separate flash templates and then play the graphic template first, followed by whichever instance of the text template I am selecting and have the text on a layer above the graphic portion. But then, the outro animation on the graphic template will only remove the graphic, not the text. Is there a simpler way to achieve this?
Thanks!
Craig

Re: Lower Third Update Text Only

With the normal client, and predefined values in different lines of the rundown, I think no. You can change the values from the activated template and send an update command.

I made my own client for sports scoring and there, I only send update commands with the changes fields. So the template starts with animation, stops at stop-mark and then I do multiple updates until I‘ll start the outro.

Thanks for the reply thos. I guess I will need to learn how to make my own client for this. I am not a programmer at all. But I am going to give it a try. I read here on these forums that a lot of people recommend Livecode for beginners like me. Does that still seem to be the recommended route?

You can send updates using the official client. It‘s the F5 key (if I remember right). You could also use the group feature to play two templates at the same time on different layers etc. So if I understand correctly, what you try to do, I think it should be possible to find a way to do it, using the official client.

For creating your own client, you can use any programing languages. For absolute beginners LiveCode can be an easy way to go.
Didi Kunz
CasparCG Client-Programmer, Template Maker & Live CG-Operator
Media Support, CH-5722 Gränichen, Switzerland http://mediasupport.ch/
Problems? Guide to posting Bug reports & Feature requests

Yes, f6 sends update from the official client. But that doesn't exactly solve my issue. I believe that using the update method would require me to manually type new text into the Values for the Keys every time I want to change them. I am trying to be able to have multiple instances of the text ready to go at the beginning of the show with the ability to toggle between the different text versions without having to invoke the intro animation for the graphic elements of the template every time. Think like the content bar in the lower third on a news channel like CNN. The bar animates in and then stays on screen while the text content in the bar changes whenever a new story or headline is discussed. Then when it is time to pull the graphic down, the outro animation plays. I would love to find out I am wrong and that there is a way to do this! :)
Thanks Didi! Your help is awesome. I have learned so much from reading so many of your posts on this forum!

No, Caspar works by sending commands. It‘s not object based, like inscriber or Morpho or others, where text is coupled to a layout page. Caspar only sends commands, so you simply create multiple entries for the same template, on the same channel and layer and you can play one of these with F2 and move to another and press F6 to update.
Didi Kunz
CasparCG Client-Programmer, Template Maker & Live CG-Operator
Media Support, CH-5722 Gränichen, Switzerland http://mediasupport.ch/
Problems? Guide to posting Bug reports & Feature requests

Thanks Didi! That works exactly as you said. Very helpful!
Now I am trying to build my own client in Livecode to handle all of this. Thos - any chance you (or someone else) can help me figure out this next step? I have successfully built a Livecode app that can control playout to the server, but only for media files. I can't figure out how to change the code to launch a template. I think there is a problem due to the quote marks being miscommunicated from Livecode. Here is the code I have tried for my button in Livecode that sends the command to server to launch my template:

global casparServer
on mouseUp
write quote & CH 1-20 Add 1 "VSiN lower third/VSIN LOWER THIRD" 1 "<templateData><templateData>" & format("\r\n") & quote to socket casparServer
end mouseUp

This doesn't seem to send anything to the server. Any ideas?
Thanks!

cmus wrote:
05 Mar 2018, 20:40
I think there is a problem due to the quote marks being miscommunicated from Livecode. Here is the code I have tried for my button in Livecode that sends the command to server to launch my template:

global casparServer
on mouseUp
write quote & CH 1-20 Add 1 "VSiN lower third/VSIN LOWER THIRD" 1 "<templateData><templateData>" & format("\r\n") & quote to socket casparServer
end mouseUp
I believe you need something like:

Code: Select all

write "CH 1-20 Add 1 " &quote& "VSiN lower third/VSIN LOWER THIRD" &quote& " 1 " &quote& "<templateData><templateData> " &quote  & format("\r\n")  to socket "localhost:5250"
Basically use the quote constant to send the quote character ("), you were trying to send a quote followed by whatever CH 1-20 Add 1 was being interpreted as by LiveCode.