Github Repository refactoring

Some sources on Github are behind the released versions, and the combining of tools and frameworks of different languages in single repos makes organisation and contribution difficult. Some of it looks like it was a quick and dirty port from SVN and then abandoned.

Template Generator
Download is called 2.1.2 CC dated 2015-02-09
Github last commit 27 Mar 2012
Version distributed is clearly more recent than the one in Github.

CasparCG AS3 Framework
Download is called 2.0.1 dated 2012-03-28
Github last commit 31 Oct 2014
Looks like this may have just been location changes but build target is 2.0.0 so I can't tell if I can rebuild the released version or not.
Build target is also an SWF - it isn't using the swcbuild plugin, so not sure what the build instruction is.

CasparCG AS3 ServerConnection
Download is called 2.0.0b1 dated 2012-03-28
Github last commit 10 Jan 2014
Seems to be initial import. SVN history is missing and ServerConnection.as3proj has the wrong contents - looks overwritten.

There is other code, notably the Java folders in Tools and Framework that isn't listed on the download page and don't have readme files.

There are open issues on both the Tools and Framework repos that are several years old and haven't been triaged.

IMHO each tool and framework would have its own repository and it would be updated to be the most recent codebase.
Each repository would be tidied up to remove unnecessary folders (tags, trunk etc).

I'll happily help to do this, but there are two stumbling blocks.

1. Latest code is not in Github
2. SVN history seems lost - does anyone have a copy of this?

Any thoughts on this?

Re: Github Repository refactoring

Hello!

Thanks for your post! A really good post actually that aligns with some plans I have for CasparCG at GitHub.
It couldn't be more timed than this! Awesome!

I haven't been around Caspar from the beginning and I wasn't even around when the migration from svn to git occurred bit I'll try to answer your thoughts as good as possible and I have to jump between your questions without any specific order to be able to give your an overall picture! :)

2. SVN history seems lost - does anyone have a copy of this?
As far as I can see, from a point of view from SVT their is not more history than it's on GitHub, unfortunately! At least not in the subversion repository we have.

1. Latest code is not in Github
Based on the dates you wrote it's a huge timespan between the latest version. I just asked around at work and got the information that for example the Template Generator got a "quick and dirty" fix and was not pushed to GitHub, I cannot answer why.

Suggestion:
I could diff the various AS3 projects against our old Subversion repositories and check what changes are missing etc. This is something I haven't been involved in at all but I can be a helping hand to find out what happened and how it has to be done in the future, and try to fix it so the source code is in sync.

IMHO each tool and framework would have its own repository and it would be updated to be the most recent codebase.
Each repository would be tidied up to remove unnecessary folders (tags, trunk etc).
This is something I will do and make a separate thread about this week. The current Tools and Frameworks repositories will be deprecated and each "subproject" will be a single repository at GitHub. The history will be preserved for each subproject.

There are open issues on both the Tools and Framework repos that are several years old and haven't been triaged.
I know and sadly it's a recurring problem which I hopefully will get rid of Q1 2018! Stay tuned! :)

There is other code, notably the Java folders in Tools and Framework that isn't listed on the download page and don't have readme files.
This is also thing that bothers me, when people just push things without having a README or information about a specific project/repository. This is a thing I also could help out with to fix, and fix it once for all.
I'll happily help to do this, but there are two stumbling blocks.
I really appreciate this, I have also sent you an email with further information! :)

Best regards,
Armin