Re: USB-C + UltraStudio HD Mini with CasparCG

As long as Caspar use Decklink SDK -> this device should be perfectly recognized. Further more, official site says that device has a simultaneous fill & key - BNC-connectors are named A and B - just like at 4K Extreme. The only difference is that UltraStudio HD Mini don't have a B input (for stereoscopic capture). But that is not nesessary for CG purposes. I plan to buy this device even without a test - this is risk, but my intuition tells that everything will be fine! The only question is to choose proper notebook - it should by i7, nVidia 9series, >=8 Gb RAM and Thunderbolt 3 connector. Can anybody advise me what to choose???

Hi Ultravibe
We are running 3 Systems with HP Z-Books. Two with Thunderbolt2 and one with Thunderbolt3.
The last one is a Z-Book3 (T7V63EA), Thunderbolt3 and a AkiTio Thunder3 PCIe Expansion Box (230$ from B&H) with a BM DUO2 Card.
The new Z-Book has a M3000 Quadro. Runs perfect on all channels. The 17" Z-Book3 can also take two additional SSD Drives. Spanned with Raid you get enormous disc rates from them. I only run one as Media and Template drive.
The two older Z-Books are Thunderbolt2, M1000 Quadro and are running Sonnet TB2 PCI Expansion Boxes with Decklink Extreme 4K.
The new TB3 Z-Book runs also the older Sonnet TB2 expansion units with the Apple TB3 to TB2 Adapter.
The Z-Books have two graphic cards build in, on Intel Graphic on the mainboard and the additional Quadro Card. Its essential to disable the Intel Graphics in the BIOS, otherwise Caspar takes always the Intel Card.
I try to borrow a UltraStudio HD Mini for testing.
Always be shure to have the ports AND cables with the little flash TB sign! Without that tis only USB-C.
Best,
P.

I'm using the ultrastudio hd mini with version 10.9 of the Decklink software. Gives key and fill , no problems. I bought the teradek front panel so I can see the output, but the front panel keys don't seem to be enabled yet. I heard it might in the next version of the drivers. Adding the front panel covers the blue 'connected' light sadly. Driving it from a ZBook 3 with M3000, had to update the thunderbolt drivers to get connection.

I would be interested to hear if anyone is doing animated pages with the smaller 15" version, which is much lighter, but only has M1000 graphics.

I thought that I had this working the other day, but have now installed on a new Windows 10 laptop (OK?). Just copying the standard config, but I'm not even getting a video out now. I have tested another CG, Titler Pro and get fill and key from the Ultrastudio HD Mini, so the connections look good. Could I just check on the BlackMagic utility, I have 'Use SDI Level A' checked and am using 'Single Link' rather than 'Dual Link'. Latest BM 10.9.3 tools, with Caspar 2.0.7 server.

Code: Select all

<channels>
    <channel>
        <video-mode>1080i5000</video-mode>
        <consumers>
          <screen>
            <device>1</device>
          </screen>
            <decklink>
              <device>[1..]</device>
              <key-device>device + 1 [1..]</key-device>
              <embedded-audio>false [true|false]</embedded-audio>
              <channel-layout>stereo [mono|stereo|dts|dolbye|dolbydigital|smpte|passthru]</channel-layout>
              <latency>normal [normal|low|default]</latency>
              <keyer>external [external|external_separate_device|internal|default]</keyer>
              <key-only>false [true|false]</key-only>
              <buffer-depth>3 [1..]</buffer-depth>
              <custom-allocator>true [true|false]</custom-allocator>
          </decklink>
          <system-audio />
        </consumers>
    </channel>
  </channels>

Thanks for all answers, I understand its thunderbolt 3 with USB-C as connector. Question now is, how many you can connect to one PCIe, so far maximums seems to be 2, might be wrong.

My original plan was to make something flexible, in case something happens to PC you don't have to perform long maintenance and have spare PC ready for easy device re-plug. But I guess it won't be possible for now, but I'm looking forward to see how thunderbolt 3 will evolve.

Current setup:
PC with two BM quad cards, so in total i have 8 SDI inputs/outputs.

Hi all

I just bought 2 Dell Alienware 17 R4 (i7-6700HQ/32GB/4K/1TB + 256GB/GeForce GTX 1070 8Gb/UHD/W10) and 2 UltraStudio HD Mini.
I am planning to test them tomorrow because I was not able to find a Thunderbolt 3 cable so far.
Any concerns or something that I should be aware of ?
I will let you know of the outcome as soon as I test it.

My plans is come true! I bought UltraStudio HD Mini and completely new PC for it:
MB: ASRock Z270-Gaming mini-ITX
Intel Core i-7 7700
DDR4 16 Gb Corsair
2xSSD (one for system drive and one for storage)
2U rackmount chassis
I have some difficults with BMD device, but guys from Blackmagic helped me. By the way, if Media Express and/or Desktop Video "doesn't see" UltraStudio - ask me - will try to help you))))

P.S. Now I need Teranex smart mini panel to see what is going on at outputs)))

Jesper Stærkær wrote:
21 Sep 2017, 09:21
The Intel-graphics bug in 2.1 isn't isolated yet, so it's kinda just something to be aware of, and trial-and-error at the moment.
Where can I get more info on this Intel-graphics CCG 2.1 bug? I'm asking this because I'm choosing the laptop with Thunderbolt 3, and there are many options with Intel Iris 520-540 graphics, no nVidia graphics inside. Does it mean CCG 2.1 is not working properly with those laptops?

itod wrote:
03 Oct 2017, 23:16
Where can I get more info on this Intel-graphics CCG 2.1 bug? I'm asking this because I'm choosing the laptop with Thunderbolt 3, and there are many options with Intel Iris 520-540 graphics, no nVidia graphics inside. Does it mean CCG 2.1 is not working properly with those laptops?
Issue on github

IIRC, Iris graphics are untested
CasparCG enthusiast and broadcast geek